The Duke Health & Fitness Center offers a well-rounded internship for motivated undergraduate and graduate students in Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, and other related fields.
We are located on the Duke Center for Living campus in Durham, NC and we are a nationally recognized leader in medically-based lifestyle change, disease management, and prevention programs.
We provide a wide array of opportunities, while working with a medically diverse adult population. Enhance your clinical skills and knowledge in a fitness/wellness setting and gain practical experience in lifestyle counseling, exercise prescription, and exercise leadership. Our multi-disciplinary staff includes Exercise Physiologists, Registered Dietitians and Massage Therapists. Your experiences will be tailored to your areas of interests and can include many additional options.
Basic Internship Experiences include:
- Creating exercise prescriptions
- Monitoring high risk indviduals with exercise
- Training for group exercise instruction
- Enhancing clinical skills, including triage of symptoms
- Evaluating rest and exercise heart rates and blood pressures, blood glucose, oxygen levels, symptoms, etc.
Optional Internship Experiences include:
- Cardiac rehab
- Pulmonary rehab
- Human Performance Lab
- Sports Medicine
- Nutrition programming
- Cardiac procedures
- Student must be Junior/Senior or Graduate level in Exercise Physiology program or some related field
- Interns are expected to be highly motivated, organized, self-directed, and open to feedback to ensure a beneficial internship experience
Good communication skills and a high level of professionalism are essential -- patient/client interaction is a vital aspect of our programming.
Internships are available for 12-16 weeks.
Intern schedules are based on a 40-hour work week.
It is expected that interns stay for the duration of their scheduled internship.
Housing, stipends, and meals are not included in the internship.
Housing information is available upon request.
All accepted interns are required to hold a current CPR certification and have liability insurance.
Applications are continually accepted. However, information that is received by the deadline listed below will be given priority for the consideration of internships.
To apply for an internship, mail, e-mail, or fax the following information:
- Cover letter outlining your primary interests and your specific institution's requirements
- Two letters of recommendation
Duke Health and Fitness Center
Attn: Internship Coordinator
3475 Erwin Road Durham, NC 27705
- Summer Internship -- February 21st
- Fall Internship -- July 21st
- Spring Internship -- September 21st
For more information about the internship program at the Duke Health and FitnessCenter, contact Katie Altieri at 919-660-6807 or firstname.lastname@example.org