A tremendous amount of time and energy has been devoted to the safety and well-being of our clients. Keeping our clients healthy through the pandemic is of the utmost importance here at Duke and every measure has been taken with this in mind.
As a medically-based fitness center, we have the benefit of being a part of the Duke University Health System, as well as having Dr. Will Yancy as our Medical Director for consultation. All of our reopening decisions have derived from Duke University Health Systems information, the Medical Fitness Association, the Centers for Disease Control, and state and local government stipulations.
Important Things to Know!
Please stay home if you feel ill or have new cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Each person will be screened for potential COVID-19 symptoms upon entry. This includes a touch-less temperature check.
- Fitness center reservations are required, except from 12 p.m.- 8 p.m. M-F and 12 p.m.- 4 p.m. on Saturday.
- Members are required to wipe down all equipment before and after use.
- Equipment is arranged so every other piece is available and exercisers are 10 feet apart.
- Masks are required at all times, except when swimming or showering.
- Practice social distancing at all times. This means maintaining at least 6 feet of distance from others.
Bring your own towel and water. (The towel service has been temporarily discontinued. The water fountain is closed, except for the bottle filling station. Members may still purchase drinks from the vending machine.)
Group Fitness classes are held indoor, outdoor and virtually.
Lockers are not available. Please keep your personal belongings with you at all times.
The indoor track is closed to walkers.
The Online Member Portal is a large part of our safety strategy. If you have not made your account yet click the button below for a step-by-step guide to getting it set up.
Daily Gym Hours
- 6 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. By Reservation
- 8 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. By Reservation
- 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. By Reservation
- 12 p.m. - 8 p.m. Open Drop-In, No Reservation Needed
- 8 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. By Reservation
- 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. By Reservation
- 12 p.m. - 4: p.m. Open Drop-In, No Reservation Needed
Gym, pool and class reservations can be made through our online Member Portal or by calling our front desk at 919-660-6660. Please keep in mind that our front desk has limited staffing, therefore the online Member Portal is the most efficient way to secure a reservation.
If you are unfamiliar with the member portal a tutorial to guide you through setting it up is linked here.
The following reservation rules apply:
- Reservations can be made no more than 5 days in advance.
- Pool reservations are limited to one per person per day.
- Online reservations can’t be made once the reservation has started, however, members may still call to register.
- Wait-listed members will be notified on a first-come-first-served basis. The first waitlisted member will receive an email notification with an option to enroll. They have 2 hours before the next person in line on the waitlist is notified.
Please email us at DukeHealthandFitnessCenter@dm.duke.edu with any Member Portal related questions.
CANCELLATION POLICY (SERVICES)
- Personal Training
- Massage Therapy
- Nutrition RMR
- Fitness Assessments
Any cancellation or rescheduling of appointments must be made at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled appointment. Failure to do so will result in the full charge of service.
CANCELLATION POLICY (GROUP ACTIVITIES)
- Group Fitness Classes (In Person Only)
- Pool Reservations
Any cancellation or rescheduling of group activities must be made at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled group activity. Failure to do so will result in a $15 cancellation/no show fee per reservation.
- Gym use is by reservation before 12 p.m. Reservations are not required after 12 p.m.
- Members may arrive anytime within their morning reservation, however, please structure your workout so that you finish your workout at or before the end of your designated reservation time.
- Masks are required at all times, including while exercising. Check out these safety Do's and Don'ts when exercising with a mask.
- Guests are required to wipe down all equipment before and after use.
- Equipment is arranged so every other piece is available and exercisers are 10 feet apart for social distancing.
- Machines with orange tags are available MWF; green tags are available Tues/Th/Sat. Machines with yellow tags are available every day.
- The indoor track is closed to walkers. The strength machines have been placed on the track for enhanced social distancing. The outdoor track remains available for use.
- Personal workout cards may be requested and must be kept by the member moving forward.
- Please be prepared to keep personal belongings with you at all times.
We encourage members to limit their use of these facilities at this time, however, the locker rooms are available for limited member use.
- Members may use the locker rooms to change clothes, however, day lockers are unavailable (except to aquatic class participants). Please keep your belongings with you at all times. Personal items may not be left in the locker rooms.
- The showers are open, but with limited availability as 2 stalls between each open unit will be closed for social distancing.
- Hairdryers have been temporarily removed and the use of personal hair dryers is not permitted.
- Use of the DHFC scales is not permitted.
- The dry saunas are now open for 2 patrons at a time with masking & social distancing.
Thirty-minute reservations are available for lap swimming and individual water walking. There are 15 minutes of transition time between all reservations.
- Reservations are required & can be made online using the Member Portal or over the phone, 919-660-6660.
- Lane use will be limited to one swimmer or water walker per lane, unless members are of the same household, in which case, sharing is permitted. (maximum 2 people)
- Reservations are limited to 1 per-person-per-day and can be made no more than 5 days in advance.
- Arrive a few minutes before your reservation so you can begin your workout on time. Likewise, please structure your workout so that you can be out of your lane at the end of your designated reservation.
- Due to the popularity of the pool area if you have made a reservation & can no longer make it, please call us to allow a waitlisted member to enjoy the resource. Please review our updated Cancellation Policy.
- For safety reasons, cloth or surgical masks should NOT be worn when wet. Swimmers should not wear masks, however, water walkers should wear masks. Masks are optional for supervised aquatic classes. Masks should be worn on the pool deck, and to and from the locker room.
- Bring your own towel and water. The water cooler will not be available in the pool area.
- The hot tub is open with a limit of 2 members at a time. Masks are required and 6 feet of social distancing must be maintained.
- As part of the state recommendations, the use of shared DHFC swim/pool equipment (kickboards, swim buoys, noodles, etc.) is not permitted.
Members may no longer store their bathing suits or pool shoes in the locker rooms (unless they have a rented locker).
- A reminder that the pool closes for 30 minutes after each thunder/lightening. Reservations that are interrupted due to weather events will not be extended into the next sign up.
- The pool and spa close at 7:30 p.m. M-F, and 3:30 p.m. on Saturdays.
Looking for more on how to Reserve a Lane?
Programs & Personal Training
- We continue to offer virtual and outdoor programs, as well as indoor, virtual and outdoor personal training.
For more information about Personal Training please click here.
For more information about Programs please click here.
- We are currently offering 30-minute massage appointments only.
- 15 minutes will be allocated between appointments for appropriate disinfecting protocols.
- Masks are required at all times in the facility, including for the duration of the appointment.
- As always, payments are required in advance and can be made in person or over the phone.
- Clients should wear clean clothing for their appointment.
- Please arrive early for screening.
- Massage Therapists and clients will do the following:
- Wash hands before and after the massage session.
- Wear masks during the massage session. This includes when clients are face down on the massage table.
- Massage Therapists will do the following:
- Wear a face shield during the appointment
- Change all linens and disinfect the table, face cradle, bolsters, and floor below the face cradle in between each massage.
- Follow a regular cleaning schedule utilizing disinfecting cleaners that meet EPA’s criteria for use against SARS-CoV2, the virus that causes COVID-19, to clean other high touch surfaces (door handles, faucets, etc.)
For more information about Massage please click here.
Our Dietitian team is conducting virtual nutrition consults through telehealth (video or phone), as well as in-person appointments. Contact our nutrition team to learn more about potential coverage with your insurance plan for either type of visit.
For more information about Nutrition please click here.
Group Fitness Classes
- Virtual group fitness classes are avialable for free to both members and non-members. The schedule and Zoom link is available on our website.
- Clinical check-in will be available for any clinical members needing to check-in. We will monitor members' needs and may make recommendations for less physical contact if vitals are stable in support of independence with exercise. This includes blood pressure, heart rate, oxygen saturation, blood glucose, and symptoms.
- All staff will wear masks, gloves and face shields at clinical check-in.
- EPA approved Oxivir wipes will be used to disinfect all items after they have had any member contact. This includes the blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, pulse oximeter, glucometer, chairs, and desktops.
- The Lifestyle Counselors will check on any member that clinically needs this service, however, if any clinical member is stable enough to exercise independently we will no longer provide courtesy checks.
- Clinical members who clinically need to be checked out should check-out, however, we will be evaluating all clinical members’ need for check-out in order to minimize unnecessary contact while encouraging independent exercise.
- Chairs in the waiting area for check-in/check-out have been spaced for social distancing measures.
Cleanliness and sanitation have always been a priority at the Duke Health and Fitness Center. Here’s what we’re doing to keep our facilities clean and disinfected:
- We utilize a hospital grade, EPA approved, disinfectant for use against the COVID-19 virus.
- All high touch point areas are disinfected every two hours, including, but not limited to restroom stalls, countertops, door handles, locker-room benches, chairs, shower stalls, etc.
- All fitness equipment used for outdoor Personal Training is disinfected after each use.
- Disinfecting shifts have been added between reservations.
- Regular facility disinfecting takes place every night after closing.
- We have added additional disinfecting stations around the fitness center, which include disinfecting spray, paper towels, and hand sanitizer.
- Members are required to disinfect equipment before and after use.
- The fitness center is deep cleaned weekly using electrostatic disinfection.